Monday, March 5, 2012

ND Daily Exclusive: Interview with Andy Lau – “Family allows me to maintain an ‘ordinary’ mindset”

In the film «A Simple Life», Andy Lau became a completely different person: throwing aside the ‘big star’ status, he dressed in ordinary clothes and carried a simple shoulder bag – at one point, people even mistook him for a plumber! It was this seemingly ‘ordinary’ and ‘simple’ performance that earned Andy a Best Actor award at the Taiwan Golden Horse Awards last year.

In the film, Andy Lau and actress Deanie Ip bring to life a master / servant relationship that is both simple yet at the same time heartwarming – when the aging Deanie falls ill, Andy remains by her side, accompanying her to the senior center, taking her for walks in the garden, taking her out to watch movies, etc. The director of the film, Ann Hui, has nothing but praise for Andy’s exemplary performance. For someone like Andy, who has always been a considerate and caring person, was it difficult to express the subtle emotions in the film?

Recently, ND Daily’s reporter had the chance to sit down with Andy Lau for an exclusive interview. In this interview, the reporter had the rare opportunity to hear Andy share personal stories about two important people in his life – his mother and father. As a well-known celebrity, Andy has a constantly busy work schedule, yet he is able to maintain such a meticulous, heartfelt relationship with his parents: whenever he sees that his mother’s clothes are not properly matched, he would quietly help her re-coordinate them; his parents don’t want to live with him because they are afraid that their friends who come to visit may not see him at his best, yet he insists that they remain by his side, as that’s the only way he will feel at ease….. by looking at Andy from his role as a ‘devoted son’, perhaps we will be able to better understand why the ‘Andy Lau’ in «A Simple Life»may not truly be ‘Andy Lau’.

ND = ND Daily Reporter
AL = Andy Lau

Part A

Taking his parents to his fan club gathering
To his surprise – they got up early just to prepare

In the film, Andy Lau and Deanie Ip have a somewhat ‘romantic’ scene: Andy [in the role of Roger] is planning to take Deanie [in the role of Tao Jeh] to a very important movie premiere. Therefore, Deanie – who lives in a senior center – specially goes to get her hair done, puts on a pretty outfit, then waits patiently for the suit-clad Andy to come pick her up. After watching the movie, the two of them walk off together, hand in hand – a ‘romantic’ moment, almost as though they were on a date….

ND: Your character Roger goes from not understanding how to express love in the beginning to later on being able to take meticulous care of Tao Jeh. Comparing the two emotions, was it more difficult to portray the feeling of ‘not understanding how to express’ your love and concern? Because in real life, you’re usually quite considerate of others.

AL: Actually, it wasn’t too bad – I just followed the script, as the script was written very meticulously. His (Roger’s) train of thought is actually quite simple – he is by himself with no other family and she [Tao Jeh] is the same. When she falls ill and has a stroke, if he has to go to work, how will she manage at home by herself? Does she want to go live in a senior center? Will he get yelled at for taking her there? Will people say that he is heartless and indifferent? Actually, these types of situations are very common in every day life. The English name for this movie is “A Simple Life” – the story is actually a very simple one and in there, you won’t find what you’d normally expect in a movie.

ND: Yes, very simple – and doesn’t stir up emotions…everything is very natural and automatic.

AL: Yes! You will notice that neither character ever cries in the movie.

ND: In fact, there are quite a few small details that actually evoke a smile or two. For instance, when you tell Tao Jeh that you’re taking her to a movie and she takes the utmost care in getting ready [getting her hair done, carefully choosing an outfit], just like a teenage girl going on a date.

AL: It’s just like my parents…the first time I invited my mom and dad to a fan club gathering, they actually got up very early in the morning to start washing their hair, preparing their clothes, etc. It’s true!

ND: Did you anticipate that type of reaction from them beforehand?

AL: No….they even bought new clothes for the occasion! I’m usually busy with work, so never knew that they did so much preparation ahead of time. I just saw it on that day…aiyo, I’d never seen my mom that pretty! (Did you tell her in person?) Yes, yes!

ND: Later on, did you think to yourself – ‘if I had known they’d be so happy, I should have taken them a long time ago’?

AL: That time they went was perfect timing because prior to that, it wasn’t really appropriate. In the past, our fan club gatherings were either at discos or some sort of sports arena. Later on, the fan club started to get bigger and that time I took them was for one of the more official large scale gatherings…it was in 1995 or around that time – we were at a location that could fit 5000 people. I didn’t purposefully plan on taking them – that’s just the way it happened.

ND: Seeing them happily preparing for the event, what were your feelings at that time?

AL: I would try to think about it from their perspective – they probably felt at that time that their son taking them to the event was an affirmation for them. It’s just like with Tao Jeh – the fact that Roger wanted to take her to an important movie premiere meant that she had a certain importance in his life; it’s a type of affirmation for her.

ND: Did you take your parents to go see «A Simple Life»?

AL: They haven’t seen it yet.

ND: Have they mentioned that they’d like to go watch it? With you winning Best Actor [at the Golden Horse Awards], they’re probably looking forward to it?

AL: They’ve actually never made any ‘requests’ when it comes to anything related to my job or career. This entire time, my mom and dad see me simply as their son, Andy – this is what moves me the most. They’ve never wanted to go watch a particular movie just because I’m in it and they’ve never requested to go watch my concerts – they’re the type who are purely ‘just parents’. They’ve never once felt that they should be extra proud to have a celebrity for a son. This is what has allowed me to maintain an ‘ordinary’ mindset when it comes to family. I feel that this type of family is extremely important for me, as its simplicity and honesty are forever guaranteed.

Part B

His parents didn’t want to live with him
But he insists: “I need to see them beside me every day in order for me to feel at ease”

It can be said that Andy Lau is one of the celebrities in the entertainment industry who is the most protective of his family. Not only does Andy barely talk about his wife Carol Chu in front of the Media, he also seldom mentions his parents either. However, this time around, he happily obliged and gave us a glimpse into his relationship with his parents. On days when he is home, he will usually pay attention to ‘small things’ such as whether his mother’s clothes are properly coordinated or whether her hairstyle looks good. Perhaps, it is precisely because of these ‘subtle’ life experiences that Andy was able to step up to the challenge of playing his character Roger in«A Simple Life».

ND: Towards your parents, are you the type who expresses your affection in a direct manner or a more unspoken one?

AL: I’m actually quite direct, but not the kissing and hugging kind. When it comes to showing concern for them, I’m very direct.

ND: How direct? You mean ‘directly’ saying ‘I love you’?

AL: No, no. I rarely say ‘I love you’ – in fact, I don’t need to say it because my dad already does..hahaha! I express my concern for them through my actions.

ND: What type of ‘actions’?

AL: Actions that show I care. For example, when my mom buys a new outfit that I feel doesn’t match well, I would help her think of ways to coordinate it and actually help her prepare it. Sometimes, I would help think of her hairstyle too. My mom’s hair is pure white, very beautiful -- she doesn’t like it though because she feels it makes her look old, but because I liked it, one time she kept it like that for almost 2 years! Also, they didn’t want to come live with me at first because they felt that if they lived with me, they won’t be able to have any friends over.

ND: Why would their friends not be able to visit if they lived with you?

AL: When I’m at home, they feel that having people visit is not convenient because their friends would see me dressed casually in shorts and I wouldn’t look like I do in public – that’s why they really want to live by themselves. But I didn’t heed their wishes – I ‘forced’ them to come live with me because I wanted them near me, I wanted to know if they’re healthy or sick – I don’t want them living out there by themselves.

ND: Most Hong Kong households have housekeepers – they could help take care of your parents.

AL: My mom doesn’t like to utilize housekeepers, so my sister is usually the one who takes care of her, however she usually has to leave by 7pm to return home and take care of her own family – that means there is a certain period of time where no one is there to take care of my parents. That’s why I don’t agree – I want them to stay with me, otherwise I’ll feel pressure worrying about them. I need to see them beside me every day in order for me to feel at ease.

ND: Deanie Ip says that you’ve never really grown up and that you’re like a big kid at heart, constantly teasing and playing around. Are you that way with your parents too?

AL: Haha! That’s my personality! It’s not that I haven’t grown up – I definitely have. But I feel that social interaction between people is important. I have moments when I’m very serious about things – when I’m working for instance – but sometimes there are also playful moments. The actresses who work with me would probably say the same thing as Deanie -- I could be talking seriously about a matter with them and the next minute, I’m teasing them and trying to make them laugh….that’s just the way I am. In front of my parents, I’m just like any other 50 year old son – not particularly childish or playful – just being my ordinary self.

Topic of Interest: Andy Lau on becoming a father

Earlier this year, during one of his fan club gatherings, Andy Lau admitted to his fans that his wife was pregnant. Andy finally becoming a father was huge news for the Media, however in the months since the announcement, no matter how much the Media hounded him, Andy still would not reveal much about his wife’s condition.

ND: This year, you will become a father. Have you ever thought about what kind of father you’d be? The strict type or the easy-going type?

AL: I don’t know…actually I don’t really want to know. I prefer to just let things take its natural course and keep it as ordinary as possible, so I haven’t really thought too much about it.

ND: Earlier, we talked about how your parents created a good family environment for you growing up. From the perspective of a father-to-be, what do you feel you’ve learned from your own father?

AL: I feel that for all matters, it’s best to wait until it appears before trying to analyze it – it’s not necessary to think so much into things so early. Plus, the way each person interacts with one another is different – I can’t be constantly thinking about how to apply my dad’s way of interacting to all other matters.

ND: Right now, waiting for the baby to arrive, are you nervous?

AL: Of course there will be [nervous feelings].

ND: Are you seeking out any tips from friends who are already parents?

AL: I feel that the way each person lives their lives is very different and what each person wants in life is different as well. I will follow my heart and my path will be a happy one. For those who are concerned or worried about me -- I will follow my own path….no need to worry!

Source: ND Daily News
Translated by: llwy12 @ AsianFanatics

View the original article here

Related Posts by Categories



0 nhận xét:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger