Wednesday, April 13, 2011

John Chiang in the Chok ancestry has been in showbiz for 60 years

In the 70s, John Chiang was popular for a period of time in the film scene after his performance in the film Vengeance (報仇). 40 years ago seems very distant. John debuted as a child actor, at age 4 he took part in the 1960 film Street Boys (街童). Currently 64 years old, John has been in the industry for 60 years. After he graduated from high school, he worked in the office for a while and then worked at an antique store. Finally, he was able to return into showbiz and started off working as a martial artist. His accomplishments has got him the name John Chiang that everyone knows today. When speaking of the past, John was very resistant: "I wasn't self-loving, before I rarely re-watch my movies. I also didn't like to think about the past, but instead should look into the future. Always worrying about the past can easily give yourself a heart attack."

No separation of social class, admires Liu Xuan

Talking about the present, in the recent series Grace Under Fire, he collaborates with many younger generation artists. The young actress that portrays his wife Mok Lan is even more of a newcomer, Liu Xuan. John said that it's not about the generations.

"Liu Xuan reacts fast, I admire her. When we were shooting, we all suggested that she speak in Mandarin because her voice will get dubbed anyway. However, she was serious on learning Cantonese and insisted on speaking her lines in Cantonese. The behind-the-scenes, also loved her. She's very playful as well, and does not get angry at all. After we finished shooting, we were all unwilling to part."

In the Shaw Brothers era, John usually plays the heroic roles, and left a deep impression on audience. His juniors all fear him and even keep their distance. However, the artists that he worked with before all said he can be very playful.

"Really afraid of me? This is my protection. I started out in martial art films, I'm used to carrying the heroic attitude, even when I'm walking I have to keep my waist straight and upright. I know the younger generation artists are afraid of me, so I take the first step and appear relaxed. If everyone is afraid of me on the set, then we all won't be happy. It will be very difficult for me too. Just as long as everyone knows to get serious when it's time to shoot, it won't hurt to be relaxed off cameras."

"I don't separate seniors or juniors, I will first respect you and I hope you respect me back. At least you should know to respect me. If you aren't serious, and put up an attitude in front of me? Honestly, when it comes to attitude and position, you can't beat me. (Who dares to put up an attitude in front of the Asia Film King?) I really have encounter some before, perhaps he wasn't sure who the person was in front of him, later he realized. I just pretended he was invisible." John said that respect is the most important in showbiz, the type of respect that comes from the heart and not sweet talking, or two face. In TVB, he has not encountered such situation because the company is like a big family, feels very close.

New generation, not easy to have a Star

Defense, do not oppose new things, as far as acting John has also asked others for suggestions.

"If I feel that there is a problem in others' acting, I will speak up and provide suggestions. To admit is another story. When others have opinions on my acting, I will take into consideration because sometimes the onlooker can see it more clearly. We all are trying to make a good show. A long time ago when I was acting, there were two actors talking behind my back, I heard this and told them that I also agree what the scene lacked. I asked them if they had any suggestions. I am also a normal actor, need to learn too, but I hope that if there are opinions, say it to me directly, don't talk behind my back."

John models like the hero, back then he was popular among audience and the artists at present day have met someone that is more skilled. John's current fan base goes around all of China, Japan, Korae, Vietnam and there are even some English fansites too. Asked if he felt that newer generation artists' starlight is no longer there anymore?

"The new generation differs from the past. With the current environment now, it's not easy for there to be a true star. Back then, I was fully supported to popularity by Shaw Brothers because at the time there were not many newcomers. I got up top quickly. Now there are so many newcomers, audiences' focus also gets scattered. Companys assess differently on who to promote. Before, a star needs to maintain a sense of secretivity, you can't just see a star out on the street. The restrictions were already relaxed in my generation, I could wear jeans to go bowling. Currently the science and techology advances is very convenient. My wife and I got photographed on the streets by fans using their phones. One time a photo of me riding the MTR was posted on Weibo the same day. Before when I took the bus, boat or whatever transportation, was there that many people that knew?"

Follow the trends, a Weibo fan

Experience changes in the generations, John follows along. Both he and his son plays on Facebook and interact with fans on Weibo.

"I understand the group of Mainland fans, the age range falls between 18-30. They didn't know me from watching Shaw Brother films, they watched my TV series like The Mystery of the Condor Hero[i] and [i]Flying Fox Snowy Mountain. They also found many old photos of me, on Weibo there was secret base where fans share with me. I cannot make it public, but sometimes I do respond to their questions. If they want to watch my old movies, many are already released on DVD, they can find them online. Many of the movies can be watched through streaming, the ending to Vengeance! is a bloody war. The director gave me a romantic death. It's useless to say, you have to watch it to experience it. There is also Return of the One-Armed Swordsman and other 40+ movies."

Good father, good husband

Artists' family relations, turns out that John's family also intertwines with the entertainment circle. His father Yim Fa (Real name: Chiang Hak Kei), mother Hung Mei and his step-father Yiu Kwong Kai were all artists. His older brother Paul Chun, younger brother Derek Tung, his wife Lee Lam Lam and his two daughters although did not enter showbiz, but oldest daughter Elaine Chiang married TVB actor Raymond Cho. Chiang Dai Wai (Chinese) is just his stage name, his real name is Chiang Wai Nin, English name John. However, because of his stage name "Dai Wai", people called him David.

Not David, it's John Gor

"John, then David, it's such a confusion. Everyone just calls me John Gor now. Dai Wai (David) had always been my stage name, not sure how the media ended up writing Dai Wai. Even TVB followed along and wrote Chiang Dai Wai." Turns out that 'Chiang Dai Wai' is the correct name, John Gor is cooler after all. When speaking of his family, even his eye contact will change into a gentle one. Lately, John Gor feels that he and Paul Chun are getting more and more similar. He said: "Similar? I am more handsome! We are a family, looks of course are the same."

In the recent years, he has not been in many movies, he said that people have to give him the opportunities first. Perhaps people are afraid that he's too troublesome. Asked why he's not shooting his director brother Derek Tung's movies? He laughed: "He's afraid of me, so he rarely asks me. In the recent years he only asked me to take part as the judge in his directed film 2 Young. He asks Paul to take part in his movies more, but the most important in acting is the right role. I don't mind if he (Derek) asks me again!"

John Gor has a close relationship with his family. Since the day he decided to immigrate to Canada with his family, he only came back to HK a few years ago. June of this year, his oldest daughter Elaine will be bearing another grand child for John. "After Elaine got married, she would come home 2 or 3 times every week. She brings my grandson over, so I could play with him. In June, she's going to have another child, Raymond Cho treats my daughter very well. However, when it comes to loving his wife, he still does not compare to me!" Known to love his wife, on his 37th wedding anniversary with his wife Lee Lam Lam, they are still as loving as a newly wed. No matter what place it is, they chat on the phone consistently, 2-3 times a day. After so many years, they have been on the phone for nearly 100,000 times.

"We're used to talk on the phone while we are in HK. After work, I will tell her that I'm coming home. When she goes out, she calls me. Why do I love my wife so much? I don't know, perhaps I'm blood type A, and a Cancer. I love my wife and family, they are in first place in my heart."

100% houseman and a great chef

John Gor enjoys sharing his relationship with Lee Lam Lam. He does not forget to remind reporters that Lam Lam Jeh is a beautiful girl. Her fierce pursuits won her the beautiful housewife.

"Before I spent a lot, whatever I made, I spent it all. After marriage, my wife took care of all the finances. At home, she is the leader, we often say that the small matters, she will handle it. For the big matters, I will decide. However, there was nothing big that ever happened! Haha!"

"My wife only knows how to cook simple dishes. She often tells the house worker to cook. My cooking skills are actually a lot better than hers. Sometimes, the kids want my cooking. I would cook red-cooked pork, which is far from what the name suggests. Shrimp, crab and seafood are my specialties!" On the movie screen, John Gor is a hero, but turns out he's a 100% houseman and a great chef."

Source: Mingpao
Translated by: aZnangel @ AsianEU

View the Original article

Related Posts by Categories



0 nhận xét:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger